Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Benefit of Sporadic Vacations

Yes, I know I am a teacher and I am beyond lucky at my vacation schedule.  NO TEACHER in the world should argue the fact that we are lucky to have three week-long vacations, as well as July AND August off.  I will absolutely agree with you.  I know I am a better educator because of these days, and often wonder why other professions don't follow a similar path.

Snow days?!  I will promise you that we love those days as much, if not more, than the kids.  Sorry. I know that as parents you hate those days - childcare, snow, screaming children, ice, screaming children, sledding, snow, screaming children... I don't argue that you are amazing people as parents.  As I am in the safe comfort of my home, cleaning my floors, catching up on my laundry, or snuggling with my dog I do think of you and your children.  (90% serious, 10% gloating) 

More important than snow days, though, are these sporadic vacations.  No, these are not important because I get time away from your children, and away from my job.  Because if you really know a teacher, you know that they are NEVER really away from their job.  You know that we wake up dreaming about lessons, and students.  You know that hugs from your children are as significant as those from our own family.  You know that we are grading and/or planning at almost all times, if not in person than in our heads.  And yet, the importance of vacation IS about time.  It is about the space from chaos to clear my head of the minutia.  It is about taking the time to figure out what I can do to make myself a better teacher, and a better person. It is about reflecting on what I have already taught, what has worked well, and what I can alter in the future.  Vacations allow me time to sit and think about how to help "Bobby" because what I am doing is not working, and that is not an option for me.  That time is not given during the school day, and amazingly enough, life is in full swing when any teacher gets home.  I do not mean, for an instant, that you do not have these same issues in your career.  You have a work problem that you are focused on while you sit at dinner with your children chattering on... You have an argument with your spouse that really stems from aggravation at work.  Teachers are no different than others, except that, we are

We are different because we work with your children each day.  We are different because we have to be so careful with our language, because young learners will easily become unmotivated and shut down in learning.  When children shut down on learning, we shut down OUR future.  We are different because what we do each day, with each student, will affect who they are in their future.  We are different because we have to teach them to read, be kind, write, use your manners, math, compassion, science, respect, history, perseverance, etc.  We are different because we are teaching future doctors, custodians, servers, philanthropists, lawyers, teachers, criminals, and so much more.

We are different because we often cry with your children, when you don't even know they are crying.

Before you sit and judge teachers for their time off, think of the benefits of giving teachers these sporadic vacations.  After ten years of teaching, I came back from Christmas vacation more rejuvenated than ever about a new unit - Activism - for my students.  I needed the time and space to reflect and research this topic (and it took me a full two weeks).  My students came back and worked harder than ever.  I learned from this unit that I had been underestimating them for quite some time.  During this most recent vacation I got to visit my parents.  I will be a better teacher because I had the time and space to be grounded with those that first taught me strength, morals, and hard work.  I watched my retired father work endless hours (including traveling for 4 days) to improve the healthcare system.  I was reminded that no matter what stage of life, you are never done learning and working towards your true passions.  I watched as my mother doted on me, and took care of me as only a mother can.  I was reminded of how much love you each have for your children.  Thank you for trusting me with them each and every day.   

As this vacation comes to an end, I am eager to see my students.  I missed laughing with my students, watching the light bulb go off, and those moments of genuine caring.  This point in the year is one of my favorites - my sixth graders begin to prepare themselves for seventh grade, and yet they hold onto us tighter than ever.  I have missed my students and will be a better teacher because of my week off.

On Monday I will enter my classroom, and take a deep breath, feeling a place of comfort, safety, and home.  How many of you can say that after a week off from work?


No comments:

Post a Comment