Tuesday, March 11, 2014

All In A Day's Work - The Emotional Rollercoaster We Call Teaching

Please excuse the bullets that have become my writing on this day.  They seem to be the best way to express the emotional roller coaster that is called teaching nowadays.  This is the just the surface of today, as I would never feel comfortable really disclosing the tough days of my students.  In teaching we have to be very respectful of their confidentiality and privacy.  If you don't feel like reading the whole page, scroll to the bottom - that's the best part. 
  • Writing is cancelled today because today is the day that the students receive exposure to German.  Normally this would be frustrating to me, but as I listen to this amazing teacher (that is only in the building for 6 weeks - 4 at this time) speak in only German I am touched by the way the students respond.  They follow her every move, stand up and sing the alphabet and other songs, and really respond to her.  I am reminded of the value my school district puts on multi-culturalism and developing the whole student.
  • As a grant proposal my class was granted 5 I-Pads yesterday - I don't know who is more excited me or the kids.  Probably me.  The students divide into groups based on the math concepts they have struggled with the most, and begin to create flipped-learning videos on the app Educreations.  Their goal is to teach other students how to solve these most difficult concepts, while teaching themselves.  It was in this moment I realized how ineffective the binder system was this year, despite the fact the pages are meant to come out of the text.  Oops!  Guess I need a better system next year.
  •  I begin to explain to the students that they have earned their award for our behavior management system and we will have a PJ/Breakfast party.  I anticipated telling my students the menu: pancakes, bacon, fruit salad, and donuts, and receiving great appreciation.  Never did I expect them to put in requests: "Can you make chocolate pancakes?"  "I would like pineapple."  "How about I bring in waffles instead?"  Ummm... How about thank you?  I explained to them that I was sad, and they had made me feel very unappreciative - when someone is doing something kind, and being generous, you just say "Thank You."  I thought the message was clear - I was wrong.  
  • Every year we hold a "field day" much like other schools.  It was later in the day that I heard some of my students complaining about the events from the previous year.  I stood there appalled.  I once again explained that "field day" was a privilege and many teachers, myself included, had worked hard to plan that day.  We discussed that while they may not have loved every event, sometimes it is better to just be appreciative for what you are given.
  • These last two bullets lead to this a version of this conversation (lecture):  "You know I love each of you very much, but today as a class I was sad.  I have made a decision to continue with the PJ Party and movie time, but I will not be buying and making you breakfast.  You may bring in your own small snack for yourself during that time, but I do not feel very much like giving you anymore than what you already have inside of this classroom.  I am here to teach the whole student, and this lesson is different than the typical math, writing, or reading lesson.  I am sorry to those of you whom appreciated from the very beginning."   One student raised his hand an apologized, while the others sat very serious.  What I love about my students is that they listened, but they didn't seem upset with me... It was like they knew it was coming. :)
  • At the very end of the day a former student walked into my room.  I hadn't seen her in years, and now that she was in 11th grade it was fun to just catch-up with her.  She got tears in her eyes when I said I was engaged, and we spent a lot of time talking about the joys of being an aunt.  Her visit touched a place in my heart, and I was once again reminded how lucky I am to be able to watch these amazing people grow beyond my classroom.
  • And now for one of my TOP favorite moments in the last ten years:  As this young women walked with me toward my next meeting, an additional former student was waiting for me.  He gave me a big hug, and said "I came to invite you to something.  What are you doing May 18th?"  I told him I wasn't sure and it may be a bridal shower off of the top of my head.  He looked at me and said, "I wanted to invite you to hear me sing at Carnegie Hall."  I don't think there are words to express the moment when you know one of your "kids" is doing something above and beyond the norm, and even greater when they include you in the moments. 
Most days in teaching are a roller coaster.  You watch the kid who doesn't get food at home, and know that his only meal is the one for breakfast or lunch in the school... The kids who wear all of the name brands, but are just screaming for attention at home, or at school... The ones who could care less about education, or just want to play video games/ or sports... You watch the kid fighting off the urge to cut, or flip the desk, because life is harder for him/her than the rest... The one who sails into the school day always trying their best... And the one who struggles just fighting off and covering their disability.  And you teach them all with love.
But every once in a while, you end up with a visit from Carnegie Hall.  

No comments:

Post a Comment