Thursday, December 11, 2014

Throwback Piece: Letter to my students after the Sandy Hook tragedy

I sat in the auditorium last week, with the doors wide open, listening to a student read.  As he was reading I lost concentration.  I had a flash moment thinking if a person entered with a gun right now I wouldn't have time to save this child.  What would I do?  How could I protect him?  Where would we go?  I was instantly reminded of the teachers and students of Sandy Hook - their bravery, love, and loss in the community.  I was reminded of this letter, and thought I would share it on this upcoming anniversary._
____________________________________________________________________________
Dear Sixth Graders,
There are no words I can say to help you to better understand what happened this past weekend. I don't understand myself. I wish I had a reason - a reason why this has happened. With reasons, we have answers; but without answers we are only left to question. 


Here is what I can tell you:

Each moment you are here in school there are adults that will always do our very best to keep you safe and protected. These adults will always put your safety - physical and emotional - before our own, and we will always look to improve our safety procedures. Let me promise you that we are doing that now and everyday.

You are loved. You are not just loved at home by your family, but by your teachers here at school. When you think of the people that love and care about you, please don't forget about your teachers. Don't forget that you inspire me to be a better person each and every day. Don't forget that I think about you long after you have left my classroom at 3:30. Don't forget that when you are at home relaxing on the weekend, I am wondering how I can make school a better place for you - academically, socially, emotionally, etc. Don't forget that so much of a teacher's heart is made up of her students.

Don't forget that teaching is not my "job", and it is not even my "career", but it is my life. It is every bit of who I am, and what I want to be. Without each and every one of you, I wouldn't be me. 

Remember that we practice drills here in school - not to scare you, but to prepare you. It is important to take those practices seriously.

Don't forget to see the greatness in the world around you - the beautiful sunset, the stars at night, the kindness of strangers, and the compassion each of you exhibit every single day.

Make the world a better, safer, place to live. YOU are the next generation. YOU are the ones that can make a difference in this world. 

Take care of one another. Your kind act can make all of the difference in someone's day. Years from now you may not remember every moment of sixth grade, but you will remember the people that helped you and took care of you when you were feeling the lowest. You will remember that someone cared. 

Don't be afraid of what could happen; but rather be excited about all the world has to offer. Live each day to the fullest. Each and every single one of you has the potential for greatness. Reach for the stars, and work hard to fulfill all of your dreams. 

Love, Miss Sisto

No comments:

Post a Comment